Tuesday, August 24, 2010

HW2K, an introduction, of sorts

Good morning all, sorry for the delay, but as many of you know, when you have a kid on the spectrum, planning on doing something the next day means it gets done anywhere from 15 minutes after you planned it to a month later!
I am HW2K, or Housewife2000. I have three sons, Hermes, who is 9 and entering 4th grade, Loki, who is 4, and Thor, who is 5, almost 6. Thor is the child you will hear and read the most about here.
Thor had a troubled pregnancy, I was on a lot of bedrest, and various and sundry meds. His delivery was long and hard to induce, but induction was necesary. Of the three, Thor was the smallest at birth, and only had a 2 vessel umbilical cord. Thor had Colic from 2 weeks to about 3 months of age, it was torture. Thor had breathing problems, and infant and toddler asthma.
There are, in retrospect a ton of things that tipped me off that he was different, but no parent wants to admit that something may be not right with their child.
At just about 2 years, Thor was diagnosed as having PDD_NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder, Not Otherwise Specified. In layman's terms, he was on the Autism Spectrum, they just didn't know where, or how severe. Add to this is Sensory Integration Dysfunction, Synesthesia, OCD tendencies, and the list goes on. I soon found that it seems doctors prefer to just add acronyms to the original diagnoses instead of changing it unless a major milestone has happened, or the new diagnoses seems somehow 'better'.
Over the 4 years since then, life has been a roller coaster. There are good days and bad days, ups and downs. I am rather fortunate to have Hubby by my side, as well as the support of my family. In total honesty, the support of friends and family os both one of the most stress relieving things there is, as well as one of the biggest stressors there is.

As this blog progresses, you will learn more about me, and Mindy, who has been a friend and chosen sister to me for over 15 years now. You will learn more about our children's backstory, what is going on in day to day life, how we deal, and hopefully, others will leave their stories and insights in the comments. We will discuss researcg done by professionals, research done by os and those near to us, resources, at as many levels as possible, and let you into a slice of our always hectic lives. Do not be surprised if you notice a routine start in our posting, not only the day, but the time of day, something is posted. Having a kid on the Spectrum is having a routine. Granted, there will be times when posts are far between, as when the kids need us, the internet must wait.

As a parting for this post, I will share a statement that I make often, a friend taught me, and I find true every time I meet someone new on the Spectrum. When you know one person with Autism, you know one person with Autism, we are all different, but something has to be the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment